Saturday, January 15, 2011

Enjoy a few screams?

Heyo peeps, how y'all doin'? Im in the mood for a very interesting, and well researched topic: cuddling movies YAY.. no, not epic romance chick flicks, or drama flicks.. nooo HORROR films ha! just my favorite type of cuddling movies, why? well, your partner, or you (depends on whose the wussy) adopt a fetal position towards the significant other and cover their eyes with the elbows and the partner just hugs away, it is too cute, a sensation of 'I feel safe with you' and 'You feel safe with me :)' I am too cheesy I can't stand myself, THE POINT is, I wanna share with you my favorite horror films through all time, plus the worlds favorite horror movies of all time, which we dont necessarily agree..

    1. Halloween (1978)

There's nothing scarier than the classic horror plot: beware babysitters, you'll get guttered, oh wait, is this her liver in the mailbox? What the? Who the hell managed to stab her into the kitchen door and leave her hanging there? Oooohhh TERRIBLE mistake, do not have sex! Omg. they're both dead! TUUURN AROUND!! HE'S BEHIIND YOOOU!! hahaha typical reactions to a CLASSICAL horror movie.

Halloween H20 (1998)
The original Halloween is, was, and ever shall be the alpha and omega of bogeyman flicks. It also remains one of the most profitable indie films of all time — costing a mere $300,000 and pulling in more than $55 million. The influence of Psycho (''It's the granddaddy of all horror movies,'' says Carpenter) is everywhere — from the tiniest details (Donald Pleasence's Dr. Sam Loomis is named after Janet Leigh's boyfriend in Psycho) to the casting of Jamie Lee Curtis as Halloween's shrieking heroine and babysitter in peril. ''It didn't hurt that Janet Leigh was her mom,'' says Carpenter, ''because everyone's a fan of Psycho.'' And Halloween.

Psycho (1960)
I personally believe that Jamie Lee Curtis is the 'Scream Queen' and that Carpenter is the 'Scream Genius', so the combination of them both is perfect. I love each and every movie of this excellent and mind thrilling sequel. Rob Zombie, I don't know what the hell he's doing but, he has to stop guttering the original movies, Rob Zombie's are just TERRIBLE! Plus, there's something about the Mike Myers mask that I don't like --

Rob Zombie
John Carpenter
Do you see the difference?! I don't know, maybe it's that I have too much love for the original Myers, plus, Halloween without Jamie Lee Curtis, is not Halloween, there'll never be another Lori Strode.. EVER! So make a note-to-self Rob Zombie and stop trying to re-make John Carpenter's masterpieces! Oh, and also, the original music is AMAZING, John Carpenter is a freaking-A-Genius! 



    2. The Others (2001)


This is a Spanish masterpiece, the best Nicole Kidman movie I've ever seen, and the best directed ghost film ever. With an original soundtrack composed by Alejandro Amenabar, who's also the director and the writer, "The Others" makes you glue your eyes from beginning to ending and leaves you with your mouth wide open, having these mixed feelings about the characters. It manages to lead the suspense very slowly, but it never gets boring, it's not a slow movie, it keeps you interested every single second. Though it doesn't give more scares than the usual, the story itself is scary, and twisted, but it describes exactly how the 4th dimension works, which we will be entering anytime soon, if you believe in that crap, I certainly do, and let me tell you I do not like ghosts! The concept in this film is identical to The  Sixth Sense: there are dead people who don't realize that they're dead. The movie is told from their perspective and the audience itself doesn't/shouldn't realize it until the final moments (though some people will get it). If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it, it'll chill your bones! This is, for me, Nicole Kidman's masterpiece and, well, not for nothing is my number 2 on my all time favorite horror movies list. Alejandro Amenabar does a fine job of creating a terrifying atmosphere. I highly recommend you to check it out on a big screen with surround sound, play it very loud.



    3. The Shining (1980)


Have you heard the phrases "Red Rum" and "Here's Johnny"? This famous quotes are from this horror masterpiece, they've been around since 1980 'til now, 2011, and I get the feeling that they'll be around forever. Movies this good never die. Directed by the  psychological horror genius Stanley Kubrick, starring Jack Nicholson. Kubrick's adaptation of Stephen King's novel about the Torrance family's headlong plunge into insanity during a secluded Colorado winter remains (better known for its T-shirt quotables ''Heeeere's Johnny!'' ''All work and no play make Jack a dull boy'') than as a beautiful and pleasing horror film. It's a shame. With a haunting score, luscious, near-eternal Steadicam shots, and Jack Nicholson's grand pirouette into murderous madness at its heart, it's one of the most artful horror films in history. You see it now and, perhaps, get disappointed because nowadays there's a misinterpretation of a great horror film, horror this days is gore, like Hostel, or Saw, but most of the horror movies nowadays lack the intelligence behind the horror story, now it's all about butching and guttering away. Nonetheless,  this movie will be around forever.




    4. Ju-On (2000)


You know what I find most terrifying besides ghosts? Not to be insulting, or anything, but asians.. So if you mix a ghost movie with asians.. I think I might cry. Ju-On, written by Takashi Shimizu, is the original "The Grudge", I personally didn't like, at all, The Grudge, I mean, I saw it but I didn't even understand it, I felt like it lacks explanation. On the other hand, Ju-On is terrifying and it does have a line of explanation. The story involves a home-care worker named Rika who comes to help a bed-ridden old woman in her house. The woman seems terrified of something, and further investigation reveals that the house has many hidden secrets. Police investigate the strange occurrences and find that many people who have gone to that house have never returned. The first incident, in which a man murdered his wife, triggered these events and the house is now haunted by the evil spirit of that wife's vengeance. It is quiet, followed by creepy sounds, bizarre imagery, and some creepy looking girl peering through the top of her eyelids and making very spooky, and chilling sounds that make your skin crawl. I highly recommend the Japanese version, not the American one with Sarah Michelle Gellar on it.



    5. Jaws (1975)

These movies will always be a classic, and even though nowadays we can see the whole robotic movements of 'Bob' (the immense Great White Shark), everytime we go into the ocean we can't help but think "what if a shark comes into here and eat me?!", even in a lake, or a POOL! at least I know that I'm scared of the ocean...and pools... Ironically, one of my favorite animals are the Great White Sharks, but that doesn't mean that they dont freak me out, a bit. Directed by the genius Steven Spielberg, the story is about a huge, hungry, and vindictive Great White. As Jaws progresses we learn that this is not a run-of-the-mill “animal attack” story, but a battle of wills between an intelligent and determined killer and a would-be hero. The final showdown must happen on the killer’s home turf – the deep blue sea. The fact that Jaws was released so long ago is reason enough for many newer-generation horror freaks to discount it as an old “shark attack movie”. This is compounded by the unfortunate release of several terrible sequels that did little more then dilute the power and impact of the original. My wholehearted recommendation is that horror freaks young and old make a place for Jaws on their horror agendas.




     6. When A Stranger Calls (2006)


I haven't seen the original movie, but this one I entirely loved and it gave me a few scares, and rushes like shouting to the screen "BEHIND YOU!" and "RUN!!". I love that it has the classic story line of the stalker behind the cute babysitter trying to kill her. Directed by Simon West, and starred by the beautiful, young, and very talented Camile Belle, this psychological thriller will make you feel like you want to jump into the screen and kill the badass motherfuckin stalker.



    7. Scream (1998)

Directed by Wes Craven, starred by Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox, and David Arquette. This movie will always have a little piece of my heart. Actually I love the sequel, and I'm just thrilled about Scream 4 coming out anytime soon, remaining loyal to their main actors. I think everyone knows what this movie is about, anyway, what I love the most is the way how Craven mixes real life and movie life into the movie, know what I mean? Also I find it very smart how he takes and just makes us realize on screen lots of epic, classic horror movies of all time. "This is the Millennium,  who needs a motive these days" That's one of my favorite quotes said by Randy, repeated by the guy behind the creepy ghost face, Billy Loomis. During the course of the movie, the characters talk about "traditional" horror films such as Friday The 13th or Halloween, and the traditional mistakes that all the characters that get killed make, yet the plot of Scream itself follows the formula almost exactly the same, essentially showing us exactly what the characters were talking about. Perhaps the best part of the writing, however, is the way in which different characters are made out to be suspects. Rather than a big creepy guy or a supernatural entity chasing down the kids, we know the killer is human and probably someone close to Sidney Prescott, the victim and heroine of all the movies. I highly recommend you to watch them, they're fun, entertaining, makes you a little jumpy, and very smart.


This is the list of my all time favorite horror movies, just pointing out, the movies above that have sequels, I love each and every of them ;) Im a faithful fan, specially Halloween, and Scream :) Anyway, other epic movies you need to see is:
- Rosemary's Baby (1968): It's a psychological horror flick, with a beautifully well directed line of suspense, incredible music, and an outstanding performance by Mia Farrow. Directed by Roman Polanski.
- Poltergeist (1982): Directed by Tobe Hopper. It's pretty well directed, keeps you entertained, and makes you wanna jump into the screen and save the poor kiddies in danger. Fun-fact, while recording the film, a lot of strange deaths occurred on set, check it out ;).
- The Last Exorcism (2010): This movie, even though new, I found it extremely well directed, how the whole movie is made as if it was a documentary, and how it made my skin crawl all the way 'til te end. Directed by Daniel Stamm.
- A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984): Directed by Wes Craven. In the dreams of his victims, a spectral child murderer, Freddy Krueger, stalks the children of the members of the lynch mob that killed him. One, Two, Freddy's coming for you (8), that song is just creepy, I had to stay awake for days after I saw it! Fun-fact - a young, attractive Johnny Depp stars in the original movie. 
- Friday The 13th (1980): The story about Jason Borhees avenging his mother, thought I thought that it may be too similar to my all time favorite horror movie Halloween, and I didn't like that, but it's a world wide favorite horror movie. Directed by Sean S. Cunningham.


This is it for now fellas! 'Til next time =) I hope you find my reviews useful.


Love always,
Larkin

No comments:

Post a Comment